What $5 gets you in Ecuador.....

A few times a week, you get these vendors driving by our house with loud speakers in a small pick up, advertising "Vecinita compre la buena naranja! 30 limones por un dolar! Compre la buena Sandia! (Neighbor buy good oranges! 30 limes for a dollar, Buy good watermelon!)" I am never fast enough to catch them because A) they are usually driving by. B) I have to unlock three big doors, and run down 2 levels just to get out of the house C) I have not tried too hard. But today I caught them!

My purchases this morning....the pineapples sure look round here.

For $5 USD I bought: 30 limes, a pineapple, 4 plantains, 5 green peppers, 1 lbs of tomatoes, and 1 lbs of red onions....produce here are cheap!  Yet somehow I still manage spend too much in groceries, it is a rare talent I have...go figure! I will miss these prices when we get back to Canada.

Having said that we are eating a lot more fresh veggies, less meat, and consuming bananas like there is no tomorrow.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monasterio de Santa Catalina: A city within a city.

Templo de la Luna

Friends, and random pictures here in Cusco.